Half Moon Bay Marina Dentists

Pine Harbour Marina Dentists

Request a call back

Would Work and Income cover my dental care costs?

Children and young people aged 18 years or less can receive free dental checks and standard treatments.

Dental treatment for adults is usually not free or subsidised (though there are exceptions), but if you are on a low income you may be eligible for financial assistance from Work and Income:

Special Needs Grant for Emergency Dental Treatment

You can get up to $300 to help with the cost of emergency dental treatment (e.g. tooth extraction). This money is normally paid directly to the service provider, and you don’t have to pay it back. You don’t need to be already on a benefit to apply for this.

More about this, including the eligibility criteria, is on the Work and Income website.

Recoverable Assistance Payment (or Advance of Benefit, if you are on a benefit)

You can apply for this if you could not get a Special Needs Grant, or if the Special Needs Grant is not enough to cover the cost of your emergency dental treatment. But you have to pay this money back.

The payment is up to $200 (or $1000 for dentures) and is normally paid directly to the service provider. 

You can read more about the Advance of Benefit or the Recoverable Assistance Payment on the Work and Income website.

For more information or to apply, contact Work and Income.